Monday

Papered Books and (my) Justified Guilt


The book I’ve been hesitantly trying to finish is “A Palestine Affair” by Wilson. I’m just not into it. I think because I’m just not as into fiction unless, (I’ve used this as an example before) it’s something researched and dynamic like “Help” by Stockett, or, the best of well researched historical fiction like Schindler’s List by Keneally.  So I’ll be walking to my neighborhood bookstore soon. 

Okay, I’ve relayed in my site the importance of manipulating digital material to err on the side of conservation.  I’m an obvious tree hugger.  Therefore I tried so hard to go the read digital only route that I took a several month long hiatus from even writing.  Due to my diplopia, low vision, I had to create my own version of an e-book using a Think Pad.  It worked, and I read books on it.  I feel guilty.  I feel like a hypocrite because I am.  I’m going book shopping for real papered books.  When I read the only thing I want blinking is my mind. 

I’m not alone.  Papered book sales still out number digital book sales but this will change, thank goodness.  I’m not giving up by any means.  Maybe this will be my last trip to this papered book store. But I have to part with an old behavior first. My cherished curl up and reads aren’t as cozy with digital.

Should I feel guilty?  Yes.  I wonder if anyone else feels this justified guilt in regards to the purchase of papered books.  If you do, you’re not alone either.

Sheila Cull
Twin Cull ©