Monday

Wild Thing


Ambition, energy and irresponsibility are innate qualities. After my coma I re learned to eat, talk, think, walk, move and behave. Everything from making sense of the earth’s rotation to tying shoelace’s, became experienced differently because my personal variables became very different. Although, those specific three qualities remained, ambition, energy and irresponsibility stuck after the re learning, like the root of a dandelion. Even after people struggled to plop the tilted weight of my body into a wheelchair and teach me not to scratch my pubic hair in public.

A neurosurgeon sat next to my hospital bed in a seemingly blinding white coat.  That’s what I felt but I may have been mistaken.  Complete darkness circled me and nobody knew if I’d regain vision.  Seemingly evident to him, he told me that I’d never walk.  Seemingly ridiculous to me, I thought there was something wrong with the inside of his head.

A quote by D.H. Lawerence:  “I’ve never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself.” 

by Sheila Cull
A Lucky Cull

No comments:

Post a Comment