Friday

On Low Vision, Blind and Agoraphobia

Recently in a doctor’s waiting room, I noticed Cory. Corey sat with his white cane, as it is, with my diplopia, I saw two of him. I said, “Hi! I know you from the Chicago Lighthouse!”

The Chicago Lighthouse is a Chicago based organization for the low vision, blind population.

Corey and I got to talking and Corey said, “Yeah, I’d say I go a couple times a year. I don’t get out much.” I yelled, “Neither do I!” We both got excited talking about our community and isolation, agoraphobia, and how we both wished it were different.

In the population as a whole, far more people that are blind or have low vision, are agoraphobic or with agoraphobic tendencies. This made sense to Corey and I because of a natural, intuitive feeling to keep ourselves safe from harm.

You think it's automatically safe to go outdoors in an urban, fast paced, city of Chicago? Not for everybody. This is why I wholly understand the high unemployment rate for our population. Fortunately, at home jobs are becoming more available for individuals with sight disabilities. I'm fortunate that I'm a writer because it's something I do at home.

Having a job, goals, motivation, and such is of course, healthy for you. Who doesn't want those things? My point is, before you judge a special population and its relationship to employment, pause to consider. Consider, as an example, walking outdoors with a sleeping mask on, seriously. How would you feel?

But don't try it!

Sheila
Cull
Twin
Cull




No comments:

Post a Comment