Saturday

Prozac Nation


Tears, emotional tears, are unique to the human species.  Often times being tearful is good for you, although, at the time it never feels like it.  Whatever the cause is of your sadness, the time devoted to that feeling allows you to make adjustments. 

This of course is quite different from clinical depression. Believe it or not, I still know some people that think that no matter what, you can pull yourself out of a depression, meaning a clinical depression. 

I know the difference between the two types, because of after my brain injury.  A stream of tears pour from my eyes when I’m feeling clinically depressed.  A pharmaceutical anti depressant medication, Prozac, that I’ve taken for over 20 years, works to remedy it almost immediately. The times I’ve gone without, I start crying.

Although, when there’s not tangible evidence of emotional tears, and people manifest their clinical depression in other ways, that’s really tough.  It shows, I think, you can never judge, because you never know.

The one book I read on Prozac, which I still believe is rather famous, is, “Prozac Nation” by Elizabeth Wurtzel, 1994.  It was one of the first books I tried to read after the brain damage, cover to cover.  The only thing I recall after closing that book was, “Prozac’s a miracle!”

Sheila Cull

No comments:

Post a Comment