Friday

Falling Dangerously In and Out of Love

A Palestine Affair by Jonathan Wilson:  In May I wrote in this blog that I preferred only certain types of fiction, stellar fiction nonetheless. Ha!  Unintentional hypocrite, look at all the Walmart novels I've been slurping up.

Anyway, I didn't think I'd finish it but I did, today. 

My biggest gain with this historical fiction piece is the amount of questions it left me with.  Specifically of that region, those borders.  My biggest problem was his hillsides, flowers, sunsets, childhood memories and such things, when the action should of kept going.  Wilson's prose, outstanding.  But he could learn a thing or two from say, James Patterson.

An unusual reading experience it was, paragraphs, pages, I loved, other sentences, words, chapters, I abhorred. 

It's a NEW YORK TIMES NOTABLE BOOK and is a NATIONAL JEWISH BOOK AWARD FINALIST.

All in all, it made a point - I have a lot to learn about history. 

Lastly, it is a complicated book, plot, with even more complicated characters.  Perhaps if I knew of the region's history going into the book, it would've been, for lack of another word, easier to read.  What this book taught/will teach me is priceless. 

By the way, Jews in Palestine after the First World War, Zionism, Arabs, English Jews, Russian Jews, American Jews, and Jews killing Jews, a mystery, and oh, an affair, and it was released in 2004.

Books!

Sheila Cull

Lucky Cull Reads Book

No comments:

Post a Comment