Wednesday

Do You Swear?

Just now, ready to toss Day's (copy cat) book into a collection of relatively new, as in "Sheila only doggy-eared" paperbacks, to mail to one of four sisters that goes by the name of Smokey, I thought, "I never did finish the last chapter."

In this work of fiction, the protagonist is a successful business executive, the antagonist is a powerful business tycoon. The absurdly disturbing thing I finally realized is that the business executive and tycoon swear at each other in all matter of context when they're alone together. Yet when they're out in public, say, at work, or at a gala, their manner of speaking is minus the expletives.

My stint as a Chicago hotel concierge, I associated with one successful business executive and tycoon, after another. Prior to a McCormick place Trade Shows, they wore their successful hats, successfully. After the Trade Show, inebriated, I witnessed them exchange words with cohorts or strangers without inhibitions.

My point? SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS EXECUTIVES AND TYCOONS DON'T SWEAR. They're professionals surrounded by professionals, and they're likely very educated, which lends itself to a curse free vocabulary.

Once in a blue moon my sister Chrissy says, "Shit." I gasp and yell, "Chrissy don't swear!" My motivation unfortunately is not of virtue, rather I think cussing is
vulgar. Not to judge an individuals choice to cuss, whatever floats your boat.

Merriam Webster, intransitive verb, second definition of Swear: to use profane or obscene language.

Following up on this mornings post, again, we have a choice because of the wealth of alternate words to manipulate. Albeit, with a harrowing account of my XP Movie Maker last night, I felt as if I wanted to, um, swear. Instead I choose, "optimism". Killer great better choice, yes?

So, do you swear?

Sheila
Cull
Lucky
Cull


No comments:

Post a Comment