Monday

Alexandria Fuller versus Jon Meacham


AMERICAN LION, Andrew Jackson in the White House, Jon Meacham, New York Times Bestseller, um, a boring read, in my opinion.  DON’T LET’S GO TO THE DOGS TONIGHT, An African Childhood, Alexandria Fuller, a refreshing delight. 

AMERICAN LION, a biography, tells of the history of former president Jackson and in reading of him, you pick up information about American culture during his time.  In DON’T LET’S GO TO THE DOGS TONIGHT, a memoir, tells of a European growing up in South Africa and as well, you gather information about Africa during her time there.  Both are books that I finished this past month.  My preference for the latter involves Fuller’s use of conversation amongst people as a writing tool.  Even quotes contained in one sentence can give you a flavor.  Fuller has a gift for weaving important South African history in a personal narrative which results in learning while reading for the purpose of entertainment.  Fuller also has a way with words, and she uses a lot of words, regarding scent, smells which I think lends the piece undeniable character.

Make a book about history, we need to learn.  But if you’re like me and once you start a book you have to finish it, make it about history, okay.  But don’t make somebody feel as if they have to force themselves to finish it!

You know what an advocate of New York Times Bestsellers I am.  Meacham didn’t let me down, I mean, it was better than reading nothing.  He just put me to sleep.  And remember?  Now I’m armed with a couple of – novels!  

No comments:

Post a Comment